Wednesday, November 27, 2013

God Never Blinks


My colleague gave me this book and said I would like it - and I love it!

It is a compilation and expansion of the fifty lessons life had taught Regina Brett, which she wrote for a newspaper column when she turned fifty. 

I love how Brett tells stories with each life lesson that she had learnt from the obstacles and problems she had been through, which she regards as "My lessons. My honors. My gifts." 
She talks about becoming a single parent and a college drop-out at 21; having to work odd jobs, and then eventually landing on the career which she loves; working out on her relationship with God; making peace with her difficult childhood; finding love in all the wrong places, and then finding the perfect man and getting married at 40; and then being diagnosed with breast cancer at 41. - I can pretty much relate, somehow, except that I am no single parent and that I chose life by choosing not to go for Chemotherapy.

As I read through every lesson, I was going, "This has got to be my favorite lesson!" Then I realized that the next, and the next and the following were also my favorite. Halfway through, I decided there is hardly anything from this book of lessons which I do not learn from.
It is interesting, fun, witty and so full of Life! 

Reminds me to be grateful for each day and everything that I have been blessed with. 

Lesson 40: If we all threw our problems in a pile and got a look at everyone else's, we'd fight to get back our own. "Yes, if we all threw our problems in a pile, I'd take mine back, not because they are easier, but because they are mine. My lessons. My honors. My gifts."

No comments: