Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Reality bites

Sorry, Peeps. Blog's rather out-dated. Hadn't been able to put up new posts. Have been rather caught up with work & studies, and not forgetting, Motherhood.

Speaking about work, my workloads are getting heavier these days. There are more upcoming projects, meaning more things for me and my colleague to handle, more sales to do, more things to put up in our advertisement (I design them), more customers (existing & new ones) to come. For being a developing & management company, I would say we are expected to do works of a contractor office. Dammit! What is wrong with management?!

It sucks, purely. With this, I am referring to most typical traditional-thinking Asian bosses' management. Question is, do they really know how to manage, the right way? I hate the fact that they like to deal with business and things through relations. I despise the fact that they think older employees with (what They call) better & more experience deserve higher pays and better benefits for being older, (so-called wiser) and experienced. Look, the world is changing.
It makes me wonder what we, the younger generation, are studying so much for, if we are only being underestimated by these typical older bosses who claim 'Young People' (Hau Se Kias) know nothing.
Man, I seriously feel underpaid. Wait, I am underpaid. I am expected to do the same works done by the manager, only more. Tell me if I'm cursed. Why is it that most jobs I've done include me having to be the one cleaning the toilets? *Screeeamming already* I am expected to keep the toilets clean and vacuum the office. Hold on, what do I do again? As far as I'm concerned, I'm the one dealing with sales, answering calls and greeting walk-in customers. I do most of the paperworks, because for obvious reasons, Good English matters here. (Not that I want to brag, but I seriously find adequate knowledge, if not full education; Good English; Computer literacy & knowledge; & the right management skills do matter, especially in today's businesses, period.)

A friend asked, "Just out of curiosity, what is your actual 'designation' (in the company)?"

Oh! *Laughs out Loud* Non-existent. I came in with no specified title. It's a small-scaled company, no doubt. Was told I shall help around, as an assistant. It was fine, at first. Pay was acceptable for the little workloads. However, as months pass, what do i get? I haven't even had my first paid annual leave. There was little increment in salary, I'm grateful. Come to think of it, the starting pay should not have been acceptable when I'm expected to do the jobs of 'bulls and horses' (Juo Niu, Juo Ma/ Cho Gu, Cho Be).

Reality is, it has become a norm among private companies and firms in Southeast Asia, especially. Wages and salaries have been lowered and made acceptable to most good qualifications and skills, which should really deserve and by law, entitled to higher pay.

Another thing - Delegation. Having studied and fallen in love with Management, I shall safely say, most existing management I see are...Piles of Sh*t! Just because you have become your own boss (by whatever means) does not give you the right to throw all the burdens and workloads and blames (regardless of whether it was the bosses' mistakes in the first place or not) to your fellow subordinates and employees mainly because they work under you. Work delegation happens only when you have already mastered and know pretty well everything that is going on from the operating core level up to your management level and would like to enrich your own job specification. So, you leave the job you already know to your trusted subordinates.

It's sad that what really happens is, without knowing a thing about how the most basic operations work, these bosses leave all the work and responsibilities to you, expecting you to produce them what they want, with no further instructions. You shall not ask questions to do with obtaining additional relevant information because according to them, it is now your task and responsibility to acquire them from sources which shall be looked up by you as well. And when things go wrong or missing, even if it was the bosses' fault, we, as employees, shall 'be honoured' to receive all blames and accusations, again, because they're the Boss(es) and they say so.

Another thing I'm truly against is 'Black Market'. I know it is common among Asian to do illegal business. To them, it may not matter how they climb up to the top of the 'Get Rich ladder', as long as they get up there. To me, I find it foolish and pointless. Why? Even if and when you do get rich, are you at par with other world class' businessmen or tycoons? Will you find the honour to call and label yourself successful? How will you respond in interviews or just any social gathering or meeting with any other true successful businessmen or entrepreneurs when asked about your secret and strategy to 'success'? Name me which famous and world-ranked billionaires achieve what they have achieved through illegal activities. Such shall not even be called 'Famous'. Let me introduce you to a word called 'Notorious'.

I can give you an endless list of complaints and dissatisfying facts, but I guess these shall be enough to make you see why I wish to get out of here ASAP!

No comments: