Friday, March 14, 2008

Rights

Just another day at work. Spending my lunch break of an hour and a half in the office, as usual.

The office phone can't stop ringing and it's pissing me off! It's not the first time this happens. Don't Bruneians (or perhaps, most Southeast Asians) know of the "Lunch Break Hour(s)"? It's fine if it has just slipped your mind that the clock reads 12pm++ OR you're trying your luck just in case our office is open whole day.
Come on! Any sensible person will think "Oh, between 12 to 1 pm, if no one answers after my first or second call, they must be out for lunch." I know I do, but Noooo, hell NO for Bruneians. They won't give up. They'll keep calling and let your phones ring till it's going to explode! It's worse if you use your personal mobile phone to SMS some existing customers because they don't answer after NUMEROUS calls (for some reasons, either they're super busy to give a damn about answering their phones or they just don't know the purpose of having a mobile phone), there goes your weekends and off days. SERIOUS!
Some of these customers (I shall not specify nor name which 'group' or race, but you should have guessed or known better) will keep calling you up in the early mornings on your weekends and off days or SMS you a long-due reply in the wee hours at night.
Customers, I understand you are fellow consumers in this commmunity. So am I. You are fellow employees/employers. So am I. We work. We have our rights to have our lunch breaks when it is time for lunch break. We have rights to have off days because we need these time off from work and enjoy other things that life can offer.
So, please. Don't give me shits like "Oh, but we only have free time during your lunch break. How arh?" *Screeammming inside* I tell you, just because I'm partly doing sales and answering your calls, I (try to) keep my cool.

Let me share with you of a Mr. Bastard. He called on a typical work day, but it was off office hour by half-an-hour, but I was in the office, and I answered his call.

*Names have been changed to protect privacy.

Me : A* Property, Good afternoon.

Mr. Bastard : Hello. Are you the boss or the worker?

Me : I work here.

Mr. Bastard : Oh, you work here. Who's your boss? What's your boss' name?

Me : My boss? You want her full name? Well, she's known as Anne*.

Mr. Bastard : Ok, I'm looking for a piece of property at Gadong. I need to ask your boss.

Me : Gadong? You mean a piece of land?

Mr. Bastard : No, a piece of property. Terrace at Gadong.I want to ask your boss if you have.

Me : We do have terrace at Gadong. 3-storey.

Mr. Bastard : Oh, you do? How much is it?

Me : Uhm, Corner plots are sold at B$###K & the Intermediate ones r B$###K each.

Mr. Bastard : Oh. Are you Philippino or Chinese?

Me : I'm... Chinese. Why?

Mr. Bastard : The way you speak... you speak verryyy sloowww.. & u like to drag your words.
You sound very arrogant. Is this the way you speak normally?

Me : What?? Arrogant? No, I don't normally speak this way.
(Was gonna tell him I had flu & was sick, but he interrupted)

Mr. Bastard : Yeah, you speak slow..like you're going to sleep & u like to drag your words.
You sound arrogant. And you speak with a slang.

Me : What slang? I wasn't 'slang-ing'!

Mr. Bastard : Yea, you slang all the while.

Me : This is how I speak. I mean the English. How else do you want me to speak?!

Mr. Bastard : (I swear he was smilling. I could hear frm his tone & voice) Ok, I'll get back to
you.

Me :*Slams phone*

Look. I haven't charged him extra for attending his call after office hour! (Yes, we charge! Kidding.) Then, I was already taken aback by his ill-mannered question "Are you the boss or the worker?" Even if I am the boss, u don't ask like that! Worker?!
And then he underestimated me, thought I didn't know which property we have. Sir, I am trained to remember all our available properties and know how and what to answer when anonymous customers call! I have 'em all listed in my head that my boss has to ask me sometimes.
And I was working with the AUTOCAD (an architectural & design program) on the computer & of course I had to think of precisely which property you were asking & give u the correct answer. Sorry if I sounded like I dragged my words, and pardon the flu. If you had asked properly for an explanation, you could have gotten a good apology, instead of the name "Mr. Bastard" now! Now, my boss knows of you & it pissed her off, too. She thinks you're just another jealous broker/developer calling to pick on us. (It's a country without much existing rights. So, yes, we do get these alot. Even plagerism of building plans!)

Slang? Which slang, please specify 'cause as far as I'm concerned, you spoke with a slang, too, a typical old-chinese-busybody-kopitiam-uncle-Slang. I don't speak with a 'slang'. People who 'slang' usually try hard. I wasn't even trying & OK, I admit, was half-paying attention since I was working on another thing at the same time. If you consider this slang, I don't know how else to speak normal. It's called PRO-NOUN-CI-A-TION, Misterrr.

I'm anticipating your call, Mr. Bastard. We have your number (Thank Goodness for Caller ID). I won't scream at you, but I could taste that vengeance will be sweet. =)

2 comments:

Aleckii said...

Well... you will encounter BILLIONS of different character during your work. As will I one day, and worst, I will work with them FACE to FACE! haha. Imagine meeting your Mr. B face to face.

Can't you just switch off the phone? Or not pick it up, or just unhook it from its holder? For that hour just no need to attend to it la, haha.

Unknown said...

Haha! i agree. There r soo many diff types of characters & ppl in this world.
Ooh, I'd be glad if I could meet Mr. B face to face, though. I want to see how well he is able to bring himself by then.. n even better, when he doesn't knw I was the one he 'picked' on.

I'd choose NOT to pick up, but my Boss was there n she asked me to answer. So, out of courtesy & for doing my job...
Haha!