Saturday, March 29, 2008

Reminiscence

I know I say this alot, but I am going to say it again. So, for the umpteenth time, I miss England - Manchester, especially.

Despite the cold freezing winds and unpredictable English weather, I love being able to throw on layers of clothes - I get to mix and match and experiment with different styles without worrying about being a laughing stock. People there dress up!
I love walking the distance without getting tired easily - because of the weather and then running into buildings to hide from the cold. At least, there was reason, or rather, 'excuse' to go dining, shopping or catch a movie. That was literally what we did back in Manchester.

I remember The Printworks. Will and I would often 'hide' there, most of the time ending up at Nando's, Hard Rock Cafe, Yum Yum Buffet or ODEON Cinema. We could watch more than one movie in a day 'cause tickets were cheap. I got student ID, so I got discounts. *Silly Grin* Life was gooood (Not that it's bad now. If I get the chance, I'd love to re-experience it all over again, with my son, Nathan, abroad).

I miss walking the streets of Manchester and London, even alone (I did that alot). Love the convenience in using the public transportation offered. On a typical day in London, with not much tasks at hand, I would take the underground tube to places as far as in Zone 3. I remember taking the Central Line to Bond Street and exploring Selfridges, or the Piccadilly Line to Knightsbridge and paying a 'visit' to Harrods. I still remember the one glass of ice-cream which cost us a good 15 quid - Yes, $terling pounds! We took a photo of it, but dang, we lost it.


Summer in London was great! (Why London? 'Cause it's much warmer for a longer period of time compared to other places in the UK). Who could blame us for craving the sun and warmth after being in the freezing cold for at most, 10 months a year? I know we get sun in Southeast Asia, but here, it is humid and leaves you sticky-icky and awfully sunburnt by the end of the day. There, you get warmth (or heat during heatwaves), but dry and constant cool breeze.

I miss 'playing tourists' in London with friends.
On the double-decker London Tour Bus during Summer 2006.
Experiencing the World Cup 2006 Fever.

I remember the streets of London, especially Leicester Square, when Italy won the World Cup. I swear it felt like we were in Italy, not England. Italians and Italian fans were everywhere, jumping with joy, parading with their flags and those driving, were sounding their car horns.

Tired from the summer heat and long-day tour, but happily contented.

London is perfect for tour and holidays and shopping only if you are loaded - with $Money$, of course!

I miss Manchester more. I miss Aunt Bibi. She is a cool aunt who cooks great curry and makes great salad, and is a great shopping companion and a friend you can talk your problems out with, like a peer buddy.
I miss going to Trafford Centre. Awesome shopping and dining place with beautiful cruiseship-like interior design.




I miss matches at Old Trafford - the place, the atmosphere (What a blast!) and the bonus part - getting to meet Manchester United players!

Park Ji Sung!


Alan Smith! (Oh my! Notice how round I was!)


I miss chilling out and going for drinks with friends. Love the varieties of drinks available for selection. (Here in Brunei, alcoholic drinks can only be consumed in the privacy of one's home. Public places are forbidden from selling and allowing the comsumption of alcohol. Extrreeeemme! Tsk Tsk Tsk)




I miss life as a university student abroad - the huge lecture halls where students (and even non-students) of different age groups attend; the libraries and IT facilities; Student Union; the parties we had at student accommodation. All we had to worry about were assignments and exams.
Look at the pretty birthday cake a friend baked for my 18th! Gee, how time flies! I feel old.
Treated like a 'princess' on my 18th. An advantage for being the youngest in group, huh?

This may sound absurd, but I do miss working in England - at Vina Noodle Bar & Karaoke & with REED Employment, UK. There were RIGHTS and pay was goood.


I miss GREGGS. I miss SUBWAY. I miss PRET A MANGER. I miss Frankie & Benny's. Ooh! I learnt that KRISPY KREME Doughnuts has arrived in the UK. Dammit! I missed that!


I miss hitting the gym at LA Fitness - the indoor pool, the steam and sauna rooms after workout.


Ah! I need a vacation, or better, a re-location!

3 comments:

LX said...

Looking at the birthday cake.. knocks me into reality. This year, it is the big fat double TWO! Yikes.

[ lllydia ] said...

I'm sure you'll be back one day, seeing how you miss England SO much. :) But, the weather has been utter crap - so that might not be a bonus. Floods in summer, hailing now and every half hour, with rain and shine in between. i'm going a bit mad loh. :(

Unknown said...

Hey, Lydia!
Ooh! Yeah, I've heard.
It's been horribly HOT here during the days & raining cats & dogs most of the nights. Has been going on for months now.
Effects of Global Warming. The world's weather's gone MAD!